Windermere Property Management utilizes the following policies and procedures as minimum applicant screening requirements. When an applicant does not fall within our minimum screening requirements, they may be approved on a conditional basis with permission from the home owner. Such conditions may include an increased rental rate, additional pre-paid rent or deposits, and/or a co-signer/guarantor.
- Monthly income must be three times rent amount.
- Monthly obligations must not exceed 80% of income.
- Must have a minimum of one year with current employer at substantially the same income now earning, or a minimum of three years in the same field with substantially the same income level and no more than two employers within the past three years.
- Self-Employed applicants or those who receive more than 25% of their income in the form of commission must demonstrate substantially the same income for the past two years and may be required to submit a certified copy of most recent tax return and/or bank statements for the past two years. Only income stated on the tax return may be used for qualifying.
- Military members must submit a Leave & Earnings Statement.
- Full-time students who fail to meet the minimum employment requirements will require a guarantor. However, this requirement may be waived if the applicant has obtained a masters or advanced degree or holds a professional designation and has full-time employment at the time of application
- Unemployed applicants must provide proof of sufficient income to qualify for the rental property, and reasonable certainty that such income is likely to continue for the entire lease term.
- Applicant must have at least two accounts on their credit report which have been open for at least two years and which have been paid on time.
- No more than two late payments allowed (greater than 30 days past due) on any installment loan or credit card within the past year.
- There must not be a bankruptcy within the past two years and new credit must have been established since any bankruptcy (at least one installment loan or credit card) and have been paid as agreed for at least 12 months.
- There must be no unpaid judgments or collection accounts and not more than two paid judgments or collection accounts within the preceding 24 months except that special consideration may be granted at Agent/Owners sole discretion for small medical judgments or slow payments on student loans if it is determined that there are enough other favorable credit references to outweigh these.
- Each applicant must have a credit score, as determined by a mortgage model inquiry, of 700 or greater. Married applicants may use an average of each spouse’s score provided that neither spouse has a score below 600.
- Applicant must have a minimum of two years of rental or mortgage history within the five years immediately preceding the rental application.
- Proposed rent must be no more than 25% greater than the applicant’s prior rent or mortgage payment.
- Credit search must contain no derogatory rental information, judgments or collection accounts from a former landlord within the preceding five years whether paid or unpaid.
- Not more than one late rent payment in the past two years is allowed and it must not have been more than fifteen days late.
- Rental references must indicate that all the terms of prior lease were met including proper notice to vacate.
- No criminal history, civil actions or prior evictions allowed.
- Any previous landlord must be verified and a favorable reference given.
- Pets allowed on a case by case basis with additional pet deposit and only when advertised as such.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and must submit a separate application.
- Approved tenant(s) must be willing to take possession and begin paying rent for the property no more than two weeks after the date on which the property will become available for occupancy.
- Lease term is a minimum of 12 months, unless the property has been listed as being available for a shorter term.
- Military members may not sign a lease for a term longer than their current enlistment term or the length of time remaining at their current duty station.
- Applications will not be processed until the application fee has been paid.
Screening Report will also be reviewed for:
- False information and/or omission of material fact listed on Rental Application
- Lack of information provided on Rental Application
Applicants need to provide:
- Copy of Social Security Card or equivalent proof of identity (Visa, Passport, etc.)
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Proof of adequate income
- Most recent check stub w/ year-to-date earnings
- Self Employed – Tax Returns for last two years
- Retired – Copies of Deposit slips, Investment Earnings documentation, Social Security earnings documentation, Bank deposit history
- Additional Income – Documents proving Child Support, Trust Funds, Bank Deposit history
Note: In compliance with Washington State’s Fair Tenant Screening Act of 2012, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), this is to inform you that the background investigation will be processed through Orca Information, Inc. We may be obtaining credit reports, court records (civil & criminal), arrest detention information, employment and rental references as needed to verify information put forth on your rental application.